26 April 2011

marimekko + crate and barrel

There are a few things out there that I will actually swoon over, and Marimekko is top on that list. If you are not familiar, Marimekko is a Finnish textile and clothing design company that has been around since the 1950s. Their designs consist of bold colors and timeless patterns that can be seen on textiles, clothing, bedding, plates, cups, even umbrellas (I mention those in a previous post). My first Marimekko item was a beautiful shower curtain that features a green and white block print that I got from Crate and Barrel. Crate and Barrel has had a relationship with Marimekko since the 60s and over the years have used their patterns as backdrops for their store designs, as well as carried select bedding and bath items. There are very few Marimekko stores in the states, so C&B has been one of the few places that you can easily order from. However, they have just launched a full out Marimekko Shop! It has a wider variety of items to brighten up any aspect of your home and life. A year ago, while wandering around the square in Oxford, MS I stumbled upon an actual Marimekko store there. SO RANDOM. I could not contain how excited I was that this was so nearby, and by the end of my visit was talking design with the owner like we had known each other for years! I got my second item there—a bright yellow coffee mug that features a running calf, that to me, looked like he was flying! You can see a green version of this mug in the image below. It sounds crazy, but I feel a bit brighter every single time I use that mug. The Oxford location is no longer there, so this online shop makes me very, very happy!



Photos from the Oxford, MS location




Photos from the Oxford, MS location









No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...