27 June 2011

Making Pickled Okra


I love pickled okra—is that a Southern thing? I don't know, I don't care...I love it! So when I came across some lovely okra at the farmer's market the other day, I decided it was time to try my hand at making my own. I have made pickles before based on this recipe, and they turned out pretty good. But this time I did it a little differently. I will admit that I cheated a bit and bought a little packet of Dill Pickle Canning Mix that I found at the grocery store as the base for the flavor. It is essentially all of the seasonings you could put together yourself (salt, dill seed, etc) but I have a history of not using enough seasoning in things, so thought this would be a good place to start. If you go this route, it will make two regular sized jars worth of pickled goodness.

You will need:

2 Ball jars with lids
Okra; about 20-24 pieces
(If you want to make pickles, you will need about 14 small pickling cucumbers. Cut off the ends and spear)
Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix
Vinegar
Mustard Seeds
Whole garlic cloves
Fresh sprigs of dill

In a saucepan on the stove combine 2 cups of water, one cup vinegar, and the contents of the Dill Pickle mix packet. Heat until boiling. Rinse the okra. Once the liquid comes to a boil pour the liquid over the okra and let it soak until it reaches room temperature. Takes about 30 minutes. Pour a layer of mustard seeds into the bottom of the jars (About 1 tablespoon, depending on your taste). Place the okra into the jars alternating the direction of each piece. Leave enough room to cram a few whole cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of dill in between the pieces. Pour the room temperature liquid over all the contents in the jar leaving a little room at the top. Seal them up and put them in the fridge! Done! You can dig into the jar the next day, but they will definitely be better if you can hold off for a few weeks.

Some of you may be more traditional with your canning and pickling, so no judgement! Actually, if you are, any advice is welcome. I choose to go with the quick method because I won't be keeping these long enough to need to store them. I also like this approach because it is not as intimidating. Perfect activity for a quiet Summer evening!

Clean jars and wash okra

Ingredients
Soak okra in the liquid for 30 minutes
Stuff jars and pour liquid over all the contents
Store in the refrigerator for 3 months,
but mine don't make it that long!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...